Monday, April 12, 2010

Over the hump

I seem to be in a running "slump" the past few weeks. Well, it's been the past couple months actually. After I ran the Cowtown, I took two weeks off to recuperate, because that's what the pros say to do. I don't think they meant that for people who ran it as slowly as I did. I pushed my endurance, sure, but I didn't physically over-extend myself. So, I don't think my body needed two weeks of recovery time. Ever since the two-week break I have had a really hard time pushing my body to go more than a couple miles. I'll catch myself stopping to walk so early in my run, and after that happens, forget it. I mentally hang up the phone and decide that I'm not having a good running day and that's that.

Lately, I've been trying to get my parents to go to the park with me because I want to help them get in shape as much as I can. The down side is that I feel bad for making them wait if Mom is finished with her walk and I still want to run for 30 more minutes, or if I lap her and I'll want to stop and take a little break and talk to her and catch my breath - and there goes my run. There I go again, hanging it up and saying to myself, "I stopped running. Game over. Today is gonna be a 'short run' day."

So, I have to figure out a way to self-motivate and get my tail in gear to get over this hump and back to my best running self!

No comments:

Post a Comment