Thursday, December 2, 2010

Never Burn Bridges (Or, God Works it Out)

Last spring, I met a woman and discussed being a nanny for her family during the summer months. We talked off and on for a while and two weeks before I was supposed to start working, she emailed me and said that although she wasn't planning on hiring someone else, she met someone who she thought would be a better fit for the job. I was so disappointed and started my email reply several times, but the irritation was always too evident so I would delete and start again. This happened over and over and finally I decided that not responding at all would be better. I don't like the idea of "burning bridges" and thought it was silly to be so upset since I didn't have an offer in writing or anything like that.

Well, fast forward to this morning. I got an email from the woman explaining that she realizes she made a mistake by not hiring me. The person that she hired instead didn't work out quite like she thought it would, so she wants to get an earlier start this time and asked if I would like to nanny for her this summer and babysit occasionally until then. How cool is that? I know it's months away, so it might not work out as I plan, but just knowing that I made the right choice by keeping my mouth shut feels great. It's true what the Bible says in Proverbs 10:19. "When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise." That's usually not the path I take, but I definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment