Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Somewhere I belong

Many times in my life, I've felt like an outsider. I'm sure we all go through periods of time like that, and I find that often I feel like that at church events. Most of the people at church would hate to hear that I feel that way, but that is the place where everyone is expected to be part of one big group with no sub-groups and no cliques, but let's face it - when there are more than about 30 or so people, groups start forming... sometimes they're grouped by age or marital status. When there is a group with a couple hundred, several groups are formed and I find a little niche that I fit into. Even though I love the people around me, when I'm with that niche I feel free to just relax and be myself.

Tonight, Drew and Kyndall B. had a Memorial Day cookout at their house. They invited several people from church and everyone was having a great time. As those things usually go, immediately after dinner a few people left and people continuously left. About an hour after dinner, there were only about 10 people left hanging around. That was my favorite time of the night. I was in my niche. We talked about everything from dogs to weddings to houses to jobs to memories and even a few more serious things... it was a wonderful way to spend the evening and I can't wait to do it again!

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand the feelings. The end of the night with the "die hards" is always the best!

    Wow - two posts in a week!

    ReplyDelete