Monday, January 17, 2011

Why is it called getting on a soapbox?

I didn't look it up, but I assume it's from the idea of a make-shift platform to air your views. Well, I typically try to steer away from soap-box issues, but this one is just really weighing on me lately.

God hates divorce. I think we all know that. The idea of remarriage is not as black and white. Some believe that there is no exception to the divorce question, never permitting a divorced person to remarry. Others believe that there is only one exception that would allow a divorced person to remarry. Still others believe that specific situations can allow a divorced person to remarry regardless of the reason for their divorce. My point is not to discuss which is right, but I wish people would consider why many Christians believe that second option.

When two people are bonded in marriage and make a vow to God, they promise to be joined together until death parts them. When that marriage dissolves because of adultery, one spouse has "joined together" with someone else, obviously breaking the original marriage bond. It seems common sense to me that you can't be bound to someone who is bound to someone else. Where does that leave someone who is divorced from someone who is NOT bound to someone else?

I recently had a conversation with a divorced man that did not seem to be sure whether it would be fitting for him to remarry. I also have a divorced acquaintance on facebook that isn't even officially divorced, yet is now constantly referring to his "girl" and his love for her. In both instances, to my knowledge, their ex-spouse is not remarried. I think it is the saddest thing to give up on a bond that has a chance to be healed. Maybe it wouldn't ever happen, but why would you choose to be the one to finalize the break of something so sacred?

We live in a society that has the utmost disrespect for the marriage bond. It is such a sad thing, but God's people shouldn't let ourselves fall into that way of thinking. Know that marriage is a beautiful, sacred bond and as the Bible says - "What God has joined together, let no man separate." I think believers should always make sure that they are not the ones to break it.

No comments:

Post a Comment